Light-Emitting Diode, commonly known as LED, is one of today’s most energy-efficient and environmentally-friendly alternatives to other lighting technologies out there. For over 50 years, LED lights have been utilised to ease the energy cost of household and business lighting, but with a sacrifice on strength of the actual light. However, over recent times, they have been developed into white LEDs, with an improvement in efficiency, cost and output, becoming one of the most popular light bulb options.
LED lights are not only better for the environment compared to other alternatives but they are also safer due to them not containing mercury or other toxic elements.
LED lights have an average lifespan of up to 50,000 operating hours, meaning they can last more than 25 times longer than traditional light bulb alternatives. A longer lifespan means lower cost in terms of labour and replacing of light bulb, and also less need to dispose of as many LED lights into landfill.
LED lights are energy efficient, with up to 80% more efficiency than other lighting choices such as fluorescent and incandescent light (that can convert up to 95% of their energy as heat). Instead, LED lights can convert up to 95% of its energy into light and the remaining 5% to heat.
Well, the less energy used means a reduction in the demand for power plants that consequently decrease greenhouse gas emissions used to generate electricity. This ultimately has a significant positive impact on our environment.
LED lights are not only better for the environment compared to other alternatives but they are also safer due to them not containing mercury or other toxic elements. Most fluorescent lights contain these chemicals, particularly mercury and if not disposed of correctly, the bulbs may contaminate the environment and can impacting a person’s health. LED lights not containing these toxins make them a safer choice when choosing lighting options.
The upfront costs of LED lights may be the only downfall of these lights. However, it will not take long before you recoup the cost of these lights through energy saved. For example, at .18Kw/h the 100W incandescent lights can cost up to $1600 per year to run while LED may cost only up to $150 a year.
Thinking of making the change to LED lighting in your business or home? Give C Mack Electrical a call and let us help you make a positive power change today.